Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hamburger Noodle Skillet


Okay so who here HATES Hamburger helper? Really? ME TOO! To me, it tastes completely chemical. Something about it just rubs me wrong. But I love the idea of a meat and noodle skillet dish, and so when my cousin (Thanks Katie!) introduced me to this one, I was over the moon! I love it, and so do my kids.

The ingredients:

1 lb (or less) ground beef (or sausage)

1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce

15 0z water (just use tomato sauce can)

1/4 teaspoon oregano

1/2 teaspoon basil

1/2 teaspoon sugar

salt and pepper to taste

Sour cream, for garnish

Brown meat over medium high heat in a large skillet with a tight fitting lid. Drain grease and add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then stir, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer and stir occasionally until the sauce is thick and the pasta is tender. Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top for a creamy tomato sauce.

You may add water 1/2 cup at a time if the pasta isn't cooked and it seems the sauce is becoming too thick.

(My kids like me to mix the sour cream right into the dish. I also, usually only use about 3/4 pound of ground beef.)

No comments: