Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Butterscotch Yams (or Sweet Potatoes)

In light of the fact that Thanksgiving is this week, I figured I would start out with some of my Holiday Go-To Dishes! Seeing as how this is also my first recipe posted, I figured I would start with my FAVORITE dish.

This recipe comes from my mother, and has been featured on her Thanksgiving Day table every year for as long as I could remember. It is sweet and rich and such a great addition to any holiday feast.

The ingredients:
6 medium yams (or sweet potatoes), cooked peeled and sliced
1 c. light Karo Syrup
1 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. cream (for lower fat content, use Half & Half)
1/4 c. butter (or margarine)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

The instructions:
Arrange yams in a 9 X 13 inch pan. Bake in a 325* oven for 15 minutes. In a small sauce pan combine Karo syrup, brown sugar, cream, butter, salt and cinnamon. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Let boil for 5 minutes. Pour over yams and bake 15 minutes longer.

(It is a tradition in my family to use the sauce on just about everything. If you have a family member who isn't fond of yams, beg them to try the butterscotch sauce on their turkey and stuffing. YUM!)

((Pictures to come later))

No comments: