Friday, January 9, 2009

Coconut Cookies (or Wheatie Cookies- whichever you prefer)

This recipe is one I was raised with and will forever be my favorite cookie of all time. I know the title sounds suspicious, but honestly- you HAVE to try these cookies before you can knock em, and trust me when I say that there will be no knockin' of these babies! I am not sure where it originates from, other than the fact that it is in my great grandmother's cookbook. One way or the other, it is a fabulous recipe and I would love to know your opinion on this recipe.

The ingredients:
1 c. shortening
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
2 eggs
2 c. coconut
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. wheaties (hence the name) or other flake cereal (use bran flakes if it makes you feel better about eating them!)

The instructions:
Cream shortening and sugars. Add beaten eggs and mix thoroughly. Add coconut and mix until incorporated. Sift dry ingredients (or stir with a wire whisk) and add to wet ingredients. Blend in vanilla. Stir in cereal. Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. DO NOT OVER BAKE.

Enjoy them! They are so easy and chewy... Mmmmm... I may need to go make me some cookies now.

No comments: