Monday, December 1, 2008

Oatmeal Bread

I don't know about you, but I am not the best bread maker in the world. In fact, I have a hard time with bread in general. For years if it wasn't a bread machine recipe I wouldn't even attempt it. But recently I went on a domestic kick and decided to try my hand at homemade bread again. I was given a recipe from a lady in my neighborhood (Thanks Natalie) and I decided to give it a whirl. And guess what?! It was WONDERFUL! I now make bread every week (usually on Mondays) and this specific recipe is a family favorite.

The ingredients:
1 c. quick oats (must be quick- not regular)
2 c. boiled water
2/3 c. brown sugar
3 T. oil
2 tsp. salt
2 pkgs. yeast (or 2 Tbs. yeast)
1/3 c. warm water
5 c. white flour (must be white- wheat overpowers the oatmeal)

The instructions:
Pour 2 cups boiling water over the oats. Stir and add brown sugar, oil, and salt. Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, dissolve yeast in 1/3 c warm water. When oatmeal is cooled down to lukewarm, add flour and yeast. Knead in the bowl until well combined. Dough should peel off hands when ready. Rise to double. Divide dough in half. Shape and put in well greased loaf pans. Rise until double. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes.

(This bread is AMAZING! And feel free if you want to, to add some dough enhancer or gluten, but it really doesn't need it...)

No comments: